As we prepare for the final holiday push of the year I have some time to reflect. It’s been a year of ups and downs, but that’s every year right?
2019 started with a New Years Eve party in our new house (moved mid-December 2018). It also started with a contract on the old house we had been trying to sell since November. All things off to a good start! Through the year the toddler toddled and turned into a three and a half year old with a willful personality. I hated a job, left that job, found a new job, and became CRISC certified.
There were fights, parties, alcohol, and making a lot of friends in our new neighborhood. There were a lot of stubborn moments for all of us. Video games, board games, every day life routine.
There was weight loss, yay! Then weight gain, boo! And then the acceptance that I am who I am, and I enjoy what I enjoy. There was gym going for a while, but it never made it to routine. I stuck to none of my goals for the year so now, after looking back, it’s time to look forward. I’ve stolen this idea from my friend Daniel who posted three things he’d like to accomplish in 2020.
With last year’s making of too many goals, resolutions, whatever you want to call them I’m sticking with just three this year. Following Daniel’s lead.
- The weight that I’d lost and gained back? Lose it again and keep it off this time! Go to the gym at least 2 days a week, but also not get mad at myself if I can’t make it for some reason. Accountability is the key here. It’s a hard balance, but I really need to learn it.
- My plan to do this is to track weight and measurements. I’ve done this before. I can do it again. Getting back to meal prep, and potentially intermittent fasting. It worked well for me before, but I love breakfast foods so much. Maybe incorporating breakfast for dinner more regularly to help those cravings. Drink, less? I’d like to say this will happen, but I know me… And beer is delicious.
- Read books. This one I’ve been able to keep going each year. In 2018 I read or listened to 32 books, and in 2019 it was 29. My goal for 2019 was to read 36 books. I didn’t hit that, but I still feel like I got some good reading in. For 2020 I don’t want to set a book limit. I want to read things that are not my standard reading material. I want to add some more non-fiction into the mix. If you have suggestions I’m open to them!
- Write more. Just in general. Here, in my journal, on Twitter. Wherever. Just write more. I have so many story ideas. I’d like to eventually make one of them happen, but getting into the habit of writing more first is where I need to start.
There are a lot of other things I would like to accomplish it 2020, but if I have to pick focus areas these three are the ones. Other things that’d be cool if I could do?
- Play through my shelf of
- Take Lizzy to the library for new books at least twice a month.
- And then read all of those books to/with her
- Visit more Ohio Breweries (See? This counters one of my primary goals above, but, again, beer is delicious).